September 23, 2013

Outerspace Oranges and Peaches

Design 2 of 31DC2013 - Orange Nails



Thinking about the color orange - I thought of Leeloo (short for Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat). She is the "perfect being" in the sci-fi movie The Fifth Element, who along with Bruce Willis' character saves planet earth; and, she has the most awesome orange hair. Despite the indie polish maker Lilacquer isn't currently making polish, I was able to get my hands on most of the collection inspired by this movie. There is a great review of the polish collection here.



When we first meet Leeloo she famously isn't wearing underpants (she was created in a laboratory after all). However, polish undies seemed a good idea for this particular polish named for her. I chose a light peach color crelly (next time a cream formula would be a smoother option). Below is a picture of these polishes before stamping. Just look at that glowing orange - almost neon - and pink/orangey shimmer. It has an appropriately galactic look to it.



I then stamped a circular disc pattern (if you squint they could be orange slices) with another orange polish - this one a cream. I was going for a tone on tone stamping combination; and as it turns out, it sorta picks up on the light and dark variation in Leeloo's hair.





Coincidentally, at the same time as I was having fun doing my nails (except for spilling acetone - oops!); Mr. Kimett was out doing yard work. Upon seeing him tending to our cute little peach tree, I had a light-bulb moment.



 Peachy! Yes?


Swatch shot below.



Materials Used:
Orly: Prelude to a Kiss (peach colored underpants - 2 coats)
Lilacquer: leeloo multipass (sheer jelly duochrome topper - 1 coat)
Barry M Gelly: Papaya (medium orange cream - stamped images)
Pueen: plate 19

Inspirations:
Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich (Leeloo holding her Multi Pass)

"31 Design Challenge" (see my intro post here)


courtesy of Chalkboard Nails

Till next time,
Kimett

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig