January 19, 2017

Nail Art for Every Month of the Year - Featuring Birthstones and Birthday Flowers


Looking for some nail art inspiration? I might spur an idea or two for you with this post. Contrary to the lengthy title above, in short I called this my "Theme of the Month" series.

Kimett Kolor Birthstones and Flowers Nail Art Designs

It's super exciting to see all twelve months' designs together!! Although it wasn't intended, it's also rewarding to see the improvement in my nail care and art over the course of the series....which took me 2+ years to complete...oops. Better late than never, I say. Anyways, now when looking them over I am inspired to keep the progress going. I hope it is inspiring you too!

By the way, this round-up post includes links, details, tidbits like which ones have step-by-step instructions, and more. Although it's a long post, it's mostly pictures...

Ready to check it out?

Let's start with a bit of history behind this series of nail art:
  • My first design was posted in January, 2014 and I concluded the series with a post in December, 2016.
  • When I began this, I was looking for nail art themes to broaden my skills. Back then, I wasn't on Instagram yet nor aware of many challenges.
  • And, I thought sending out a birthday greetings each month would be fun! In January's post, I wrote more about my previous life's history in doing just this.
  • Jewelry and flowers are fascinating to me -- why not make nail art based on them?
  • Each design features the month's birthstone(s) on my outer nails and birth flower(s) on my inner nails. 
  • Interestingly, there are more than one designated gem and flower for each month's celebration, and many sources available to use for reference. I chose to pick my inspirations prior to each design rather than using one specific list/reference point.


Here's a list of the specific gems and flowers I used for my series' inspiration:
  1. January: Garnet and Carnations
  2. February: Amethyst and Violets
  3. March: Aquamarine and Daffodils
  4. April: Diamond and Daisies
  5. May: Emerald and Lily of the Valley
  6. June: Pearl, Alexandrite & Moonstone and Roses
  7. July: Ruby and Water Lily
  8. August: Peridot and Poppies
  9. September: Sapphire and Asters
  10. October: Opal and Marigold
  11. November: Topaz and Chrysanthemum
  12. December: Turquoise and Holly

And now, let's take a look at each month's inspirations and nail art. While piecing this post together, I'm planning on trying to pick a favorite...it's  not going to be easy as they all hold fond memories for me.

Maybe I'll use a scoring technique. Yeah...that sounds good. How about 3 categories in which to be given 1 to 3 points for each. In summary, each design can score as low as 3 points or as high as 9 points. Seriously, I'm making this up as I am typing it....

Here goes --


January - Garnet and Carnations

Garnet and Carnation January Nail Art by KimettKolor

The combination of garnet and carnations feels very elegant to me. Hence I envisioned using a romantic, more abstract stamping print for my floral nails. Also relevant is the fact that my stamping plate collection was a LOT smaller back then -- no carnation stamp images...LOL.

Garnet and Carnation January Nail Art by KimettKolor

As many of us in the Northern Hemisphere tend to experience, I had just suffered a nail break over the holidays. Sad face. I remember being a bit hesitant to start this series with such short nails. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with short nails, I just prefer more length on me. And, looking back at these now, I think they came out very sweet and appropriate for a short nail design. I'm no longer embarrassed at all.

When I've went back and read my Theme of the Month - January post, I chuckle at myself a bit. I was still quite new at this whole thing (writing, taking pictures, etc.), never mind doing nail art. But...it's a good feeling of progress. We all start somewhere.

Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 1 point
Overall Design - 2 points
TOTAL SCORE - 5 points 



February - Amethyst and Violets

Amethyst and Violets February Nail Art by KimettKolor

Well...my stamping collection had grown only slightly, as evident by the cartoon like representation of the violet flowers...but I was gaining some experience in accenting stamped images (including fixing up said accents). I'll leave out the spoilers and let you read the post, Theme of the Month - February for a chuckle.

Amethyst and Violets February Nail Art by KimettKolor

I think doing this series really clinched my love for jelly polishes. The depth and light reflections fascinate me to this day. Deciding what, if any, color to layer them over is also quite fun. Nowadays, we use them for lead-lighting, water marbles, and more -- I can't get enough of them!

Scoring
Creativity - 1 point
Inspiration Match - 1 point
Overall Design - 2 points
TOTAL SCORE - 4 points


March - Aquamarine and Daffodil

Aquamarine and Daffodil March Nail Art by KimettKolor

I'm not sure, but I think I get my goofiest when writing about nail designs that included flops. If you check out my original Theme of the Month - March post, you'll see that my brave foray into free-handing the little daffodils was sadly smothered by top coat (a good reason to use acrylic paint over polish).  Although it is fondly that I remember making these, my flowers still look like fried eggs to me....every time I see them, I see fried eggs. And I get hungry. LOL

Aquamarine and Daffodil March Nail Art by KimettKolor

So -- years later -- when I saw there was a stamp plate with daffodils -- I just had to try again with this design. So far it is the only one that I've re-created, although truth be told, I'm itching to do the others again too. So here they are: Theme of the Month: March Aquamarine and Daffodils - Take 2.  A complete change-up with these to textured polish and realistic looking flowers.

Aquamarine and Daffodil March Nail Art by KimettKolor

I confess, enough time has passed that I didn't cringe when making the summary collage (at the beginning of this post) and only including my original March design. I'm so grateful for pushing boundaries and having fun with this hobby, that the results are not as important anymore. (Eeeks -- did I say that? Me??)

Scoring (based on original design)
Creativity - 3 points
Inspiration Match - 1 point
Overall Design - 1 point
TOTAL SCORE - 5 points


April - Diamonds and Daisies

Diamonds and Daisy April Nail Art by KimettKolor

At the risk of sounding too arrogant, I just loved these sweet nails! Flaws and all. Even though I don't paint my own toes, I feel this design would look great at the ends of somebody's feet.

Diamonds and Daisy April Nail Art by KimettKolor

As I often do, I had fun playing with my photography equipment on that day. I used a cross-screen filter to get that fuzzy sparkle look from the glitter. Also, there was a surprise guest in that Theme of the Month: April Daisies & Diamond Tips post -- do you remember him?  And, if that wasn't enough, the post included a link to a easy-peasy glitter gradient technique too.

Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 2 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 7 points


May - Emerald and Lily of the Valley

Emerald and Lily of the Valley March Nail Art Design by KimettKolor

I had been looking forward to May's post since I had come up with the series idea. Lily of the Valley is one of my very favorite flowers. And, to find a stamp plate with their image - priceless!!

Emerald and Lily of the Valley March Nail Art Design by KimettKolor

Every element of these was lovely - those green polishes, the emerald cut rhinestones, the flower image. Yet, I wasn't too keen about these as an overall design. However, I do think they spoke to the inspiration very well.
Neat story: It was the following year when these became even more special. On Instagram, some talented and sweet girls used my design and re-created it for a friend's birthday. Now -- how cool is that?!!! It was the very first time one of my designs was re-created and I felt completely humbled. Since then I've been "collecting" these re-creations and keeping a page in the blog : Nail Art Designs Inspired by Kimett Kolor.

Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 3 points
Overall Design - 1 point
TOTAL SCORE - 6 points


June - Pearl, Alexandrite & Moonstone and Roses

June Birthstones and Roses Nail Art by KimettKolor

Instead of picking just one, I went with multiple birthstones for June in this design. And, I also pushed myself to free-hand the roses -- ironically I own lots of stamping plate images of this flower. Personally, I think I was beginning to hit my stride when I made these Theme of the Month - June Birthstones and Roses nails.

June Birthstones and Roses Nail Art by KimettKolor

When I was done, I literally gasped and said aloud, "Who's nails are these?" They looked so formal, elegant, girly....not really adjectives used to describe me at all. I was smitten though. While you never saw it on the blog, I found myself taking cell phone pictures of these at all hours -- even at night in my bedroom because that pearl shimmered so pretty in low light....

In addition to my description of how I created these, I also included a tutorial link to the talented Judit, aka @judyrox on Instagram whose rose painting technique is the one I followed.

Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 2 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 7 points


July - Ruby and Water Lily

Ruby and Water Lily July Nail Art by KimettKolor

It's hard for me not to be partial about these, as July is my birthday month. But...let me try. Moment of silence, no keys clacking. Nope, I can't do it. Tingles are felt every time I view these on July's Theme of the Month post. LOL.

Ruby and Water Lily July Nail Art by KimettKolor

Even though red is a traditional nail polish color, and we nail artists tend to shy away from the norm, I enjoy red polish on me. I had fun layering the two reds (a creme and a jelly) to get the ruby nails. But even more fun playing with stamping polishes for the first time, which helped achieve this gradient look. Mostly, I was incredibly proud of myself for getting that large single flower image split and lined up on two fingers.

Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 2 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 7 points


August - Peridot and Poppies

Peridot and Poppies August Nail Art by KimettKolor

Cruising right along that year, I was still getting each birthday design posted, even if slightly late. I remember being very intrigued when planning August's Theme of the Month post. I really wanted my poppies to be orange...a variety/color just like found at a friend's property. Then, when I found a jelly polish not only inspired by, but also named for the birthstone, Peridot -- it was fate!!

Peridot and Poppies August Nail Art by KimettKolor

And, I'm always proud of myself for giving free-hand painting a go -- even when I'm not very successful at it (those daffodil-slash-fried eggs haunt me). But I was pretty pleased with my poppies. I wish my photography had captured the jelly polish a bit better...but...if wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches.


Scoring
Creativity - 3 points
Inspiration Match - 2 points
Overall Design - 2 points
TOTAL SCORE - 7 points


September - Sapphire and Asters

Sapphire and Aster September Nail Art by KimettKolor

These were quite popular and I enjoyed wearing this design very much too. The contrasting colors worked well together and September's post was quite lovely because of it. It may not be evident when looking at the design, but I put a lot of effort into all the details -- I guess I made this one look easy. That's a sign of success, right?

Sapphire and Aster September Nail Art by KimettKolor

While it wasn't easy picking images that looked specifically like asters, not mums or daisies, I think I did OK. (Stamp plates didn't come in all the varieties as they do now 2 years later.) I used a single image multiple times in making the decals for these as I believe asters are often thought of in bunches. I'm proud of myself for envisioning the need to apply those strokes of green underneath the flowers. It was a good light bulb moment.


Scoring
Creativity - 3 points
Inspiration Match - 2 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 8 points


October - Opal and Marigold

Opal and Marigold October Nail Art by KimettKolor

Returning to the series after almost a year felt really good. And, the longer the time was from when I started this series, the more supplies I found that were perfect for these designs. Look at that gorgeous White Opal polish by Colores de Carol glow!

Opal and Marigold October Nail Art by KimettKolor

I think I enjoyed describing my vision and how I turned that into a nail design in October's Theme of the Month post as much as I enjoyed these nails! Of course I wish my stamping execution was better that day...but, I'm going to completely ignore that and enjoy them anyway.


Scoring
Creativity - 2 points
Inspiration Match - 3 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 8 points


November - Topaz and Chrysanthemum

Topaz and Chrysanthemum November Nail Art by KimettKolor

You can tell more time has passed, my nails are long and my photos are better...but I also think the excitement of the series completion being so close also comes through in these nails.

This design was also the most complicated of the series. Appropriately, the November Theme of the Month post includes step-by-step pictures and instructions.

Topaz and Chrysanthemum November Nail Art by KimettKolor

This was my first go at using nail foil -- and it won't be the last. That along with twelve polishes, yes twelve!, and a stamp made for so much fun making this look. I actually have zero negative feelings about this one!! Wow!!
And, just a couple days ago, a very talented nail art gal, and somone that I'm honored to call a fan, re-created these and posted on Instagram! "Thank you Tijana!!" The timing for me was terrific as I was preparing these images & collages, but also I needed a pick-me-up and she gave it to me in spades!! (You might have seen it if you opened the page link to  Nail Art Designs Inspired by Kimett Kolor that I included above.)

Scoring
Creativity - 3 points
Inspiration Match - 3 points
Overall Design - 3 points
TOTAL SCORE - 9 points


December - Turquoise and Holly

Turquoise and Holly December Nail Art by KimettKolor

As nail art - I found these challenging and I was pretty happy with the result too. These probably wouldn't appeal as a manicure design as the colors clashed a bit more than I planned. However, once I slept on it, I found I quite liked them a day later.

Turquoise and Holly December Nail Art by KimettKolor

I'm so glad I chose to do the turquoise nails using the water spotting technique rather than stamping. And my coloring in the holly made them match to me in that they were both "hand made" looking. Did that make sense? Besides, it wouldn't have given so much to laugh at in the December Theme of the Month post!! I did include some tips regarding the technique so that you can learn from my mistakes though. You're welcome.

Scoring
Creativity - 3 points
Inspiration Match - 3 points
Overall Design - 2 points
TOTAL SCORE - 8 points

---

Okay. As this is a round-up style post, there's not a whole lot more to say. Other than - YAY!!! If you didn't get the notion, I really - really enjoyed doing these designs. And just for more fun, here's the collage showing them all together again:

Kimett Kolor Birthstones and Flowers Nail Art Designs


Drumroll please...

And how did my scoring technique work? Well, actually it was a success. There was only one design which earned a perfect score. November struck it rich with all 9 points. Had I not done the scoring, I would have picked them all, especially the last six...LOL.

Which one was your favorite? I really hope you let me know in the comments. And, do you happen to like the one for your birthday?? I hope so!!

Got any ideas for my next series? I want to do another one...

Till Next Time,
Kimett


PS - there may be a small gap in my posting for a little while. I'm dealing with some not-so-great stuff in my personal life at the moment. Please bear with me. Thanks for sticking with me and I hope to see you sooner than later.

---


Link Index

  1. January
  2. February
  3. March 1.0, March 2.0
  4. April
  5. May
  6. June
  7. July
  8. August
  9. September
  10. October
  11. November
  12. December



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig