February 11, 2014

Love and Steel

Hi, my name is Kimett and I like romantic comedies. So, it is not surprising that I chose one for my "Inspired by a Movie" nail design in the #31DC2013 challenge. But what is a surprise, and will stay a surprise if I don't type it somewhere in this post, is why I chose THIS movie. I haven't yet decided if I will confess the reason...hmmmm....will I?




The movie, "A Knight's Tale" from 2001 is about William who, aside from pretending to be of noble birth so that he can compete in jousting tournaments, falls in love with Lady Jocelyn, unaware of his secret. Heath Ledger, Shannon Sossamon, Rufuss Sewell, Alan Tudyk, Paul Bettany and others act in this comedy that combines medieval Knights from the 1370's with the music from the 1970's.



About the nails: I had been wanting to play around with the plastic wrap technique where you use a small balled-up piece of saran wrap to either remove or add wet polish on top of a layer of another colored polish. For this challenge, the colors I chose were black and red, to match the DVD & movie posters, and silver, spurred by the steel armor worn by the knights. Also, in my mind's design were metal studs - again playing up the armor element. I place one per nail just below the top angled on a diagonal.



As happy as I was to fuss around with this "marbleizing" method, I wasn't particularly pleased with the outcome of these nails. I didn't hate them, but I didn't love them either. I think the combo of polishes I used (colors, finishes, etc.) just weren't the best. They just were....too dark and gloomy maybe? Anyway - I didn't consider them a fail, but yet again another good learning experience. I actually liked them better in the photos than in real life.



I did stop and take a couple photos before adding the studs. Still, I am ambivalent as to whether they looked better with or without. If pressed, I'd say with the studs. What do you think?



If you haven't seen this movie, you should. It is good-hearted fun. Yes, it is a common plot of the underdog rising up against all odds, but c'mon - it's Heath Ledger. One of the more noted and romantic parts of the movie is the love letter that he writes with the help of his trusted friends to the maiden who caught his eye. It is particularly a good one for Valentine's Day.


"My dearest Jocelyn, It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they can be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to. I next compete in the city of Paris, I will find it empty and in the winter if you are not there. Hope guides me, it is what gets me through the day and especially the night. The hope that after you're gone from my sight, it will not be the last time that I look upon you. With all the love that I possess, I remain yours. The knight of your heart."



So, why did I pick this movie? You might think that the stained glass heart decoration I chose to pose with in the photos is a clue, but no. The hearts made of metal and red glass helped keep this in the romantic mood I was going for this week. It seems I just can't keep it in....drum roll, please...

Speaking softly in my best confession voice: I wanted to use a new stamp plate that I had just gotten. The Vivid Lacquer plate VL020 has an image of a knight on a horse with a lance (in 2 sizes). Yeah, perfect - right!? So why didn't I use the stamp plate? I don't have a good answer, really. I guess when I had finished the base with the 3 colors, it just didn't seem a good background for stamping. And I was flummoxed as to how I would incorporate the studs and the stamp. So...there you go.

Polish Palette:


Polishes (L to R): Orly - Sea Gurl, China Glaze - Platinum Silver, a-England - Perceval
PUEEN square metal studs

Inspiration Source(s):
Movie: A Knight's Tale
DVD cover image:
http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/posters/800/A/A-Knights-Tale-2001-movie-poster.jpg



And, the "31 Design Challenge" (more info in my previous post here)


courtesy of Chalkboard Nails


Have you seen this movie? Did you like it? It's not currently available with Netflix streaming (maybe DVD?), but it can be rented from Amazon or Redbox.

Valentine's Day is almost here. Will you be doing anything special with a loved one, family or friends?

Thanks for visiting!

Till next time,
Kimett
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig