February 26, 2014

Copy Cat: Melinda's Cosmic Design with Nail Party Shares

My Kolor Kave saw lots of action this past weekend. (Oh - that could have sounded a bit off color if you didn't know what I was talking about. Color pun intended. LOL.) At my Mom's request, I hosted a surprise birthday party on Sunday for her close friend Marcy (the birthday gal), Marcy's daughter - Melinda, my Mom - Cindy, and of course - me. The party guests got to pick from my polish collection and enhancements to have their nails done by me. (They were brave!) The time together was incredibly special and loads of fun. We took a few pictures after nails were dry; you'll see them later, first up is my copy-cat design.





The party was a needed escape from the reality in our lives during the few hours of polish playtime. To be honest, though, I might have been the one who had the most fun that day. My favorite part, besides painting their nails of course, was watching them picking out colors and designs, especially Melinda. And boy - did she pick out a winning combination!! I had nail envy! And, I HAD to recreate her design the very next day.



The silver accents with this stunning dark blue shimmer just popped. Melinda picked these three polishes and decided which nails would have what on them. To start with, the blue was painted on four nails with the silver metallic on the pinky, same on each hand. Leaving the pinky nails to shine on their own, we added the silver flake topper to the index and ring nails, and finally stamping with silver on the thumb and middle nails to complete this look. The only difference between Melinda's and my nails was the stamp images. I stayed with the scientific/cosmic theme Melinda chose and decided these off centered messy galaxy shaped ovals fit the bill. I thought the irregularity in the stamp image went with the silver flake topper which looked like stars.



You can see why I just had to copy her design!! It was a looker. I hope she's still enjoying hers as much as I did mine.



So, I thought in addition to showing my nails per usual on the blog - you might want to see what we did in our nail party. Fortunately, the ladies graciously allowed me to share pictures of their nails for you all to see.


Clockwise from top-left: Marcy, me, Cindy, Melinda

As it turned out, Marcy's husband also had the idea to treat her with a manicure for her birthday, which she had just a few days before. (The downside to surprises...) Since she had a gel polish applied and didn't want to take off the sweet present from her hubby; we put some water tattoos and a couple rhinestones on accent nails, allowing her professionally painted nails to shine through.


Marcy picked the sweetest flower shaped pink rhinestones for her thumbs - aren't they adorable?

Since Marcy's nails were already pretty, she enjoyed living vicariously through Melinda & Cindy's polish picks. As you now know, Melinda designed this blue and silver knockout. The stamping on her nails was done with the Vivid Lacquer plate VL017. She picked the planets, Saturn, comet, beaker and "For Science!" images. Melinda has awesome nail canvases! I had fun painting and stamping on them!


Doesn't she have beautiful nails! Imagine if they were painted by someone better than me! In all fairness though, I think we were all laughing at the time I was painting the blue base...hard to hold hands steady when giggling. :-P

Cindy chose a stellar Sephora by OPI duochrome, Ruby Without A Cause. This polish is complex enough all on its own. She had fun trying out a color that she wouldn't have bought for herself. Isn't it lovely on her?!


Can you see the familial resemblance with my Mom's nails? I do. :)

This was such a fun day! It would be great to do it again. I'm so glad I was having a good day and was physically strong enough to sit and polish for that long; as I am a slow painter. I can't imagine what its like to do nails in a salon - I wouldn't make it. The customers would be all like, "I have to get out of here and on to my life..." and I would still be on the first coat! :) 



I would like to keep babbling about the party, but I'll spare you my gushing and finish up my post in the usual manner. The details of the blue/silver cosmic nail design inspired by Melinda follow:

Polish Palette:
Polishes (Top to Bottom): OPI - Yoga-ta Get This Blue!, nail pattern boldness - The Tin Man, and Essie - no place like chrome

Stamping Plate: PUEEN47


Inspiration Source(s):
Melinda's nail design
Melinda does have two thumbs. :) One was shy in this photo; however,  you saw it earlier in the post.


In closing and as always - thanks for visiting!

Till next time,
Kimett

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig