August 25, 2014

Theme of the Month: August Peridot and Poppies

I've really been looking forward to doing this August themed design...oh, since like February...for two reasons. One, because I have fond memories of beautiful giant poppy flowers that a friend of mine has growing at the end of her driveway every year. And two, because I found a gorgeous jelly polish (my favorite polish type) that not only is named, Peridot, but was created and inspired by the pretty mineral.



You may not be in the "camp" that likes jelly polishes - especially without undies where the naked nail shows underneath, and if you're wavering - this may not be the one to make your final judgement by. My fair skin is not well suited for such a pretty light yellowish green. But, I hope you can keep the inspiration in mind when looking at these photos. Don't see it as green slime (although...maybe you're already calling the Ghostbusters...stop!). Instead, imagine pretty gemstone. If it will help, scroll down to the end to see the inspiration photos, then scroll back up. :)


Both of these two photos (above) were taken in indirect sunlight outdoors.



And these two photos (above) were taken indoors with various bulbs and flash.


As much as I looooove stamping, I also really like painting free-hand. It's just still a bit scary to me. These poppies were done with acrylic paints. Once again, I was feeling brave and did not practice before painting these on my nails. So, they're not the best - but I was fairly pleased with how I managed. As I mentioned earlier, my memory is of orange poppies, particularly at sunset when the stems look more of a brown than green - so that's the reason for the colors I chose. But, in searching for "courage" to paint them, I found this design by Tarts N Talons and used it as a reference. 


A while back, I made my first purchase of polishes by Liquidus Nail Gloss on Etsy - and it was love at first brush-stroke. I ordered three jelly polishes and one shimmer; and I am getting ready to go back and order more. (However, I have to wait with everyone else, because Danielle is currently moving and her shop is temporarily closed until sometime this fall.) You might remember my Multi-colored Stamping (Lead Lighting) post - as I used this light green jelly, Peridot and a bright pink one, Pink Agate, in that design too. Danielle's polish inspirations come from nature - also a favorite theme of mine. Below, I'm holding my mini bottle, but next time I'm ordering all full-sized ones!






Design Details

Polish/Supply List (numbers match image above)
  1. Liquidus Nail Gloss ~ Peridot
  2. Butter London ~ Cuppa
  3. Apple Barrel (craft acrylic paint) ~ Orange
  4. Apple Barrel (craft acrylic paint) ~ Burnt Umber
    Miscellaneous: dotting tool, tiny art store paint brush


Inspiration Source(s)



Happy Birthday to everyone born in August!!! I hope you liked this nail design done in your honor. (And, maybe my sister born this month might see this too!)

I'd love to know what you think of this. And if you have any questions or I've left something out, please feel like you can ask anything in the comments.


Thanks for visiting!

Till next time,
Kimett


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig