May 22, 2014

Turtles & Sea Foam for World Turtle Day

May 23: World Turtle Day!



I'd been waiting for a good time to use these awesome turtle stamp images...


and I think I found one. According to Wikepedia:

The purpose of World Turtle Day, May 23, sponsored yearly since 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue, is to bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for, turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
Also, turtles and tortoises are just plain fascinating. 


Looking though some pictures of sea turtles, I thought I could incorporate the theme of "wearing green" for the special day and give these guys a little sea foam pattern. I almost went with a bubble type pattern, but was afraid it looked too much like those plastic 6-pack holders that if aren't disposed of properly have been known to strangle or tangle the animals. The photo below doesn't show what I'm speaking of really, but it's such a cool shot...

http://stilllearningsomethingnew.com/tag/world-turtle-day/

My polishing and stamping results were a little sub-par the day I painted these...but sometimes you just gotta keep going and finish it for the practice of it. I had actually painted these on my nails prior to the multicolored stamping - but needed to post those first as they were done specifically to be the 50th post design. As such, I'm not counting this turtle stamping design as one for my series of examples of stamping techniques. (I don't really want the focus to be on the skill-level today; rather on the fun and my teeny contribution to a good cause.)


The green base polish is Josie, an opaque creme finish by Zoya. It is really a lovely shade of green that gave a different hue depending on the lighting (my photos in this blog are outdoor shade, indoor flash, and outdoor direct sun) - but all were striking. I was thrilled with the look that the stamping polish & pattern added.


My turtle design was more a "graphic" representation than realistic - but I quite liked it. What do you think? Did you know of World Turtle Day? Have you helped a turtle recently? Tell us all about your thoughts on turtles and tortoises in the comments.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/09/olive-ridley-turtle-swim-start-life-ganjam-beaches-india

One more awesome turtle picture. Go baby turtle, go!


Polish Palette:
Polishes (top to bottom):
*  Green base color: Josie by Zoya
*  Stamping color for seafoam: Chartreuse Chase by Sally Hansen (InstaDri)
*  Stamping color for turtles: Konad Black stamping polish

Stamping Plates:
*  Pattern: Cisi & Sisi 11
*  Turtles: Salon Express SE21

Inspiration Source(s):
http://www.tortoise.com/ 

Depending on when you read this post---there still might be time to paint your nails green or pick out a green outfit for Friday! (Hint, hint...)

Till next time,
Kimett

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig