December 15, 2013

Snow Frosted Blue Half-Moons

In my Kolor Kave, snow is fun and happy. I don't think about the shoveling or cold, wet toes. In here, snowflakes are magnified and beautiful. So, I present: a pretty snowflake sitting on top of an icey-blue polish for my half-moon design, the 18th in the 31DC2013 challenge.



This nail design was very easy to do and required little nail-art experience. To make these, I could have easily stamped the snowflakes; instead, I tried water tattoo's for the first time. They were simple and fun. I hope you'll decide to follow along and find out how these cute nails were made and which of my favorite holiday movies these brought to life by them.



White was the base color I used for these nails to give everything that frosty, snowy feeling. Then I put a thick coat of the Sinful Color's Cinderella over the whole nail. This polish has a light blue tinted jelly base with tiny pink glass flecks that gives that fresh-fallen, COLD snowy feel. (A very special thanks to my reader who gifted Cinderella to me!)



Then, to make the half-moons, I sponged Zoya's Rocky using a torn piece of sponge and tweezers (to hold onto it). My moons almost were moon-like (I think technically they should be uniform and more rounded). Because I wasn't going for a smooth gradient here, I didn't sponge any of the other colors.



Each snowflake is a water tattoo - and I wanted them to be seen landing down on the nails haphazardly like real snow would do. These were simple to use. I followed all of the instructions on the packaging - no issues!


"Look, Ma' - no thumbs!"
These nails were easy to create and it went together fairly quickly too; drying time in between layers was the only time consuming part. And, even though it was a simple design, I loved wiggling my fingers around catching the sparkle and color of these nails. As you saw with the pictures, the different lighting provided different hues of blue and sparkle.

So what movie did these nails make me think of? Why, one of the best Christmas movies of all time (in my opinion): Dr. Suess' How the Grinch Stole Christmas; the original animated one from 1966. Particularly, the early scenes when the snowflakes are falling against the bright blue sky as the Who's in Whoville are singing...."Fah who for-aze! Fah who for-aze! Dah who dor-aze! Dah who dor-aze!"


Photo showing me holding my VHS tape of the Grinch (yes, but I also own a digital copy too).

Materials Used:
Polishes (L to R): Sally Hansen - White On, Sinful Colors - Cinderella, Zoya - Rocky


PUEEN Water Tattoo Stickers - this isn't the exact package I used, but you can get the idea.
Inspiration Sources:
This design came to mind quickly, which likely means I've seen nail designs like this one in the past, but at the moment I don't know who to give credit to.

And, the "31 Design Challenge" (more info in my previous post here)


courtesy of Chalkboard Nails

Thanks for visiting!
Galaxies are up next. Where shall we go? Do you have a favorite galaxy?

Till next time,
Kimett
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig